In the past, members have contacted Interpretive Guides Association staff to report non-compliance with individual guides or guiding companies. Some of these issues have to do with businesses hiring guides who do not meet Parks Canada’s licensing requirements while other issues have to do with seeing non-licensed businesses operating in the Park. We will continue to bring these issues to the attention of Parks Canada, but want to inform all IGA members that the best way to address these issues is to submit a report to Parks Canada. Parks Canada officials cannot be everywhere at once, so they need our help recording and reporting issues we notice in the park. Interpretive Guides Association members can play an important role in ensuring experiences for visitors to the mountain parks are high-quality and professional.
If you submit a report, Parks Canada officials are required to act on that report. Wardens cannot act on a suspected problem unless it is reported.
Here is the general outline for reporting issues of non-compliance to Parks Canada:
- Collect all the details:
- Date (s) of offence
- Time of day
- Location of offence (e.g. Johnston Canyon)
- Individual or Business involved
- Make and model of vehicle, license plate details (if applicable)
Briefly describe the nature of the offence (e.g. “x” company was leading a hike to Stanley Glacier, but is not licensed to do so and guide allowed visitors to feed wildlife)
Include photos or other evidence you have collected (photos are a great way to record relevant information and provide Parks Canada with more evidence than simply your word against someone else’s)
Include your contact details:
- First name and last name
- Phone number
Send the report to:
- Parks CanadaIn Banff, Yoho & Kootenay – Indra Jasinsky Business License Officer – Business Licences Parks Canada Agency Banff Field Unit 101 Mountain Avenue, Box 900, Banff, AB T1L 1K2 Tel (403) 762-1530 Fax (403) 762-5858 Indra.Jasinsky@pc.gc.ca In Jasper- Kelly Deagle Business Liaison Officer- Municipal/Realty Services in Jasper National Park P.O. Box 10, Jasper AB T0E 1E0 Kelly.Deagle@pc.gc.ca Telephone 780-852-6151 Fax 780-852-1873
- Interpretive Guides Association firstname.lastname@example.org This way we also have a record of the non-compliance
- Areas outside the Rockies National Parks: Google the land manager licensing agents for your area.