Join Our Board
Our board of directors is a governing board (not operational) and each spring we look for interested, passionate people who have experience in interpretation, guiding, tourism, marketing, business development, partnership development and so much more to help us succeed. If this sounds like you, please get in touch.
All applications will be processed for eligibility by the Interpretive Guides Association eligibility committee prior to our AGM and if a vote is required the vote will take place during the AGM.
Eligible and Successful Candidates Must:
- Be a voting member of the IGA in good standing (Bylaw 3.0.1)
- Be willing to govern the affairs of the Society in cooperation with fellow BOD (Bylaw 5.0)
- Be willing to operate as a volunteer and thus unpaid with exceptions of reasonable expenses (Bylaw 5.2)
- Be willing to and available to meet with BOD and staff a minimum of (but not limited to) 5 times per year (Bylaw 5.13.1)
- Be willing to adhere to and accept the duties of the BOD ((Bylaw 6.0.1)
- Be willing to be part of committees as determined by the BOD (Bylaw 6.1)
- Abide by the IGA Code of Ethics and Conduct
- Be willing to familiarize themselves with the bylaws of the society
Eligible and Successful Candidates Should:
- Expect to assist in supporting and promoting the IGA including (but not limited to) events, meetings with supporting organizations, assisting and supporting the Executive Director in reasonable requests for various tasks
- Have some board experience and/or be willing to undertake necessary Board training as identified by BOD
- Understand this is a policy only board, all operational duties fall on the ED and her team.
- Team dynamics are a critical part of this board so you must be comfortable working in a team environment and interested in relationship development and communications.
- Have a good understanding in outdoor recreation, education, tourism and interpretive guiding industry.
- Have experience in one or more of the following areas: education, guiding, interpretation, safety, human resources, marketing, tourism, business development, partnership development, finances, bookkeeping, negotiations, event planning, communications, minute taking, not for profit organizations, etc.
- Make themselves available when possible, for situations arising which result in the requirement of an extra or emergency board meeting.
- All positions require a minimum 2 year commitment and 4-6 years are ideal.