The Basic Knowledge course is a 4-hour overview of a region’s natural and cultural heritage and the guide’s role in protecting and presenting that heritage. It is designed to introduce course participants to what makes the region unique, and inspire them to learn more about the area to captivate their guests through the stories they tell.
We are working towards expanding our Basic Knowledge Course offerings. If you are an expert on the natural and cultural history of a region in Canada and would like to develop a Basic Knowledge Course for the IGA, please contact us.
Groups with 10 or more participants are encouraged to book a private in-person course. This course is offered in English and French.
Whenever possible, your instructor will modify the course to meet the needs of your particular group.
There are currently 4 versions of this course that focus on different geographic regions and parks:
- Waterton Lakes National Park
- Banff, Yoho, and Kootenay National Parks
- Jasper National Park
- Tofino, BC and area
Please contact us to arrange a private, in-person course for your group of ten or more.
Ce cours est disponibles en français. Veuillez nous contacter si vous souhaitez en savoir plus.
IN-PERSON COURSE DETAILS
- An introduction to how the mountains were formed
- An overview of how mountain ecosystems work and discussion of how some of the common species live and interact within those ecosystems
- A summary of the human presence on this landscape over the past 11,000 years
- An introduction to how national parks were managed in the past and how they are managed today
We reserve the right to cancel courses if registration is below 10 people.
On-line versions of the Basic Knowledge Course are currently available for:
- Banff, Yoho and Kootenay
Coming soon! Online options for Waterton Lakes and Tofino, BC are in the works.
Please note that the course requires a Flash plug in to operate and Flash is becoming obsolete. We are working hard to launch our courses through a new platform. Until then, these courses work best through Firefox so please make sure to open that browser when taking the course.
ONLINE COURSE DETAILS
The on-line Basic Knowledge Course covers the same content and is the same cost as the in-person course. The on-line version is best viewed with a high-speed internet connection, in Firefox. You may complete this course over a couple of days or sittings if you wish. You can also stop the course at any time to take a break, or get a snack!
To register for the on-line course, follow these steps:
- Click “Register Now” beside the appropriate course below to registration & pay for the course on-line.
- You will be asked to create a password as part of the registration process. Enter your email and personal password below to access the course.
- Open the course up using the Firefox browser.
- Turn your computer speakers on, sit back and enjoy the course but don’t forget to take notes throughout so you are prepared for the test.
- Complete the quiz (top right corner of your screen). Be sure to hit “submit” so your information is sent to us.
- Your quiz results are sent directly to the Interpretive Guides Association. Your results will be automatically tallied and emailed to your account shortly after you complete the quiz. If you do not achieve 90% or more on the quiz, you will be asked to re-do the course.
Note: You have 30 days, from the date of purchase to complete the course and pass the test.
$94.00 plus GST
ANNUAL ADMINISTRATION FEE
All Basic Knowledge certified guides are required to pay a nominal yearly administration fee in order to keep their certification active.
If you choose not to pay the yearly administration fee you may have your certification revoked and your profile removed from the IGA database. Basic administration fees that have lapsed for three or more years will be removed from the database. The IGA has no way of knowing if a guide has remained active in their perspective field if this fee is not paid. If you require the Basic Knowledge certification to work as a guide and you are no longer in our system you will have to retake the course.
The yearly administration fees for 2021/2022 are $29.99 plus GST. You can pay your year administration fee here.
Become a full member of the Interpretive Guides Association
IGA individual and corporate memberships come with benefits! Group insurance plans, pro-deals, job advertisements, professional updates and professional development events are some of the things available to those who become a full member of the IGA. Learn more.
ONLINE COURSE REGISTRATION
Basic Knowledge Online Course - Banff, Yoho, Kootenay
Basic Knowledge Online Course - Banff, Yoho, KootenayCourse Details Register Now