Course Details and Registration
The Apprentice Interpreter Course is designed to introduce you to effective interpretation skills, local natural history, cultural history and park management. It is a great place to start your journey of discovery as an interpretive guide working in the Canadian Rockies.
APPRENTICE INTERPRETER COURSE CONTENT
- The basics of Canadian Rockies Geology (sedimentation, mountain building, erosion, rock types)
- Introduction to glaciers and mountain weather
- Introduction to mountain ecosystems (Typical mountain habitats, species interactions and ecosystem connections)
History and Park Management
- Eras of human presence from aboriginal to park creation
- Evolution of concept of park- from playground to goal of ecological integrity
- Current park management issues & initiatives
Introduction to Interpretation
- Introduction to interpretation and thematic communication
- The basics of effective communication
- How to build a thematic interpretive program
For a more detailed breakdown of everything you will learn in the Apprentice Interpreter course, please refer to the Interpretive Guides Association’s Knowledge Standards
PLEASE NOTE: There is work to complete before the course starts. Upon registration, you will be emailed a copy of the Interpretive Guide’s Handbook and the Prereading and Study Guide. If you do not receive these documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
WANT TO BECOME AN APPRENTICE HIKING GUIDE?
To become an Apprentice Hiking Guide you must take also take our Group Management Course. Find course info and registration dates here.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
Please read our Cancellation & Refund Policy if you are planning to sign up for this course. If you cancel three weeks before the course starting date, you will receive a full refund minus a $30 administration fee and a $45 digital manual fee. If you cancel two weeks before the course starting date, you will receive a 50 percent refund minus the $45 manual fee. If you cancel with less than 2 weeks notice no refund will be issued.
If you are sick on one or more days of the course you must prove your sickness (i.e. a doctors note) and get in touch with the instructor immediately. We will place you in an alternate course if we have space available, otherwise you will need to re-register and pay.
The interpretive Guides Manual costs $45 for members, and it is sent out digitally so once it is sent we cannot refund you for that cost.
If the Interpretive Guides Association has to cancel a course due to low numbers, you will have the choice of being given a full refund or transferring your registration for another course.