Tofino Area Interpretive SpecialistCourse List
February 24 - 26, 2021 - online Via Zoom. This three-day course focuses on thematic interpretation and local knowledge of the Tofino area to help you take your interpretive programs and career to the next level. The first 2 days are spent working through interpretation creation and delivery and the third day is spent learning about the Tofino area geology, ecology, land management and history.
Course content for day 1 and 2 includes theme development, Sam Ham's 4 qualities of interpretation and lots of hands-on practice so you can create engaging, meaningful, memorable experiences for your guests. Course content for day 3 includes local knowledge related to the geology, ecology, land management and history of the Tofino West Coast region.
After completing this course and passing the 2 exams with 70% or greater you will become certified with the Interpretive Guides Association as an Interpretive Specialist with a Tofino area expertise.
Date: February 24-26, 2021
Price: Members = $460; Non-members = $540
Day 1 - 9:00 - 5:30 MST
Day 2 - 9:00 - 6:30 MST (course ends at 5:00 pm and then you will complete your test from 5:30 -6:30 pm)
Day 3 - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm PST; 5:30 - 6:30 pm for the knowledge content exam
Location: Online through Zoom.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
- This course is being taught on Zoom and you will need to download the Free Zoom app on your desktop or laptop before the course start date.
- You must have a very good internet connection as we must see you on video throughout the course. Participation is mandatory to become certified!
- You will get an email right after you register and pay with the course materials (including the course manual). If this email does not come through, please send an email to email@example.com.
- That email will also include The Zoom link that allows you to join the meeting. Save this to your calendar so you have it handy for the start of the course and make sure you know how to join before the first session.
- This course includes two exams and you must receive 70% or more on both exams to become certified.
- A one-year IGA membership is included in the cost of this course for individuals registering as non-members as well as the How to Interpret IGA course manual. Once you have registered, you will have access to the members' section of our website. This section gives you access to your certification (s), membership card, course files, course manual, pro-deal information, receipts and more. Have a look here.
- If you are already an IGA member you can save money by registering at the member rate.
- You must pay membership fees yearly in order to keep your certification in good standing so mark one year from your registration date onto your calendar. Emails will be sent as reminders so make sure your email address is kept up to date.
Online Course Requirements:
- You must have a Zoom account (accounts are free and easy to join. Our course is optimized for the desktop or laptop experience).
- A working video camera (on your device or set up separately)
- And a working microphone (on your computer or you can use earbuds/ headphones connected to your computer).
Watch this video to learn more about Zoom to make sure you are comfortable using it before you register.