Professional Interpreter CourseCourse List
Online via Zoom Meetings, June 22-27, 2020 - No registration
- This course will be done online via Zoom Meetings. You must have a good internet connection to be available by video throughout the course and the zoom app to participate in this course.
Course Cost: $649 plus GST
- Fundamentals of Interpretation Lecture (9:00 am – 5:30 pm)
- Geology and Ecology of the Canadian Rockies Lecture (9:00 am - 5:30 pm)
- Geology and Ecology Field Trip - done online (9:00 am – 5:30 pm)
- Park Management, Ecological & Cultural Integrity Classroom and Field Trip Sessions all done online.
- Morning: Interpretation workshop (9:00 am – 12:00 pm).
- Afternoon: History and Climate Change in the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks World Heritage Site (1:00 pm - 5:00 pm)
- Interpretation Workshop (9:00 am – 5:00 pm)
- Interpretation Workshop (9:00 am – 1:00 pm)
- Sense of place (2:00 pm - 5:30 pm)
This course is designed for those individuals who have experience working as guides in the Canadian Rockies. It goes much deeper into the material than the Apprentice Interpreter Course. You may find the IGA How to Interpret and Natural and Cultural History of the Canadian Rockies handbooks helpful in preparing for this course. You can purchase them here
Please note: This is only a course. In order to become accredited as a Professional Interpreter, you must pass the oral and written exams. In order to take both exams, you must qualify with enough hours of experience and expertise. You will be emailed a copy of the Professional Interpreter application package when you register and pay for this course. Please read through it to find out if you qualify to take the exams. Exams will take place in December, January, Feb, May, June and September each year. Exams each cost an additional $75 plus GST. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your completed application package if you are interested in taking these two exams and make sure to book an exam date at that time.