The Interpretive Guides Association is a member based, not-for-profit organization that provides interpretive guide training, certification, and professional development programs in Canada and beyond. .
Vision: People are inspired through interpretation to discover and care for the natural and cultural environments throughout the world.
Mission: The IGA is a non-profit that establishes and maintains high standards in heritage interpretation.
The Interpretive Guides Association is guided by the following goals:
- To encourage excellence in the interpretation of nature, history and culture.
- To ensure professional standards for the communication of natural and human heritage relevant to place.
- To consult with, and advise, stakeholders on the development of standards and training programs for guided activities.
- To deliver training and offer professional accreditation to guides and operators relating to the communication of natural and human heritage to meet guiding industry standards.
- To develop a common commitment within the tourism community to enhance the training of those charged with the responsibility of sharing heritage information and values with visitors.
- To exchange information of educational or scientific value about natural and human heritage, and any other matters of interest, with other heritage organizations throughout the world having the same or similar objectives.
- To promote the general public’s awareness of professionally accredited guides.
IGA Bylaws /click to view